John
D. Harris
Los Angeles Superior
Court judge
A panel of special masters appointed by the state Supreme Court
last month rejected nearly all of the charges of misconduct brought
against Harris by the Commission on Judicial Performance.
The special masters-Court of Appeal Justice Eileen C. Moore of the
Fourth District's Div. Three, San Bernardino Superior Court Judge
Patrick J. Morris, and Ventura Superior Court Judge Henry J. Walsh-heard
evidence for five days in Pasadena in May.
The CJP accused Harris, who announced during the hearing that he
intends to retire in October, of seeking to establish personal relationships
with sexual assault victims, making inappropriately personal comments
to jurors, attorneys, and court staff, throwing a file at a deputy
city attorney, and lying during an investigation into his conduct.
The masters rejected charges that after two felony sexual assault
trials in 2000, Harris met in chambers with the victims and sought
to initiate personal relationships.
Harris acknowledged that he spoke to the victims in chambers and
that the meetings were improper because the cases were not yet final.
But he testified that he sought only to comfort the victims because
he was moved by their plight, and did not intend to have any extensive
or improper continuing relationships with them.
The masters found that testimony credible, citing many witnesses
who said that Harris was a empathetic person by nature and noting
that although he has been a judge for many years, he was new to
handling felony sex crimes.
The masters also found that the commission had failed to prove that
comments made by Harris to or about female attorneys, court staff
members, or jurors on various occasions were inappropriately flirtatious
or sexual. The comments included invitations to have lunch, a remark
that a staff member was "cute," and thanking a lawyer
for not challenging an attractive female juror because a judge "has
to have something to look at during trial."
The panel accepted Harris' testimony that in hindsight, he recognizes
that some of his remarks could have been taken as offensive, but
that he had no intention of making anyone feel ill at ease.
Kevin
A. Ross
Los
Angeles Superior
Court judge
A hearing scheduled for Sept. 13 in Pasadena before a panel of special
masters was put off earlier this month when the Commission on Judicial
Performance filed additional charges against Ross, who had been
charged May 7 with three counts of judicial misconduct.
Sixth District Court of Appeal Justice Eugene Premo, Fourth District
Court of Appeal Justice Judith Haller, and San Bernardino Superior
Court Judge Michael A. Smith are the special masters named to conduct
the hearing, which has not yet been rescheduled.
The CJP asserted in its original formal notice of proceedings that
Ross made comments about pending cases on a public television program
on four occasions, was twice absent from court without authorization,
and in four instances treated criminal defendants inappropriately.
This month it added allegations that the jurist improperly sought
to market a courtroom simulation television program in which he
would star.
The CJP originally cited appearances by Ross, a former prosecutor,
on the KCET public television program "Life and Times Tonight"
during 2001 and 2002. Ross, a frequent guest on the public affairs
discussion program, gained a seat on the Inglewood Municipal Court
in 1998 by defeating Judge Lawrence Mason and became a Superior
Court judge upon unification in 2000.
Among the canons of the Code of Judicial Ethics violated by the
four appearances, the CJP asserted, is Canon 3B(9), which says that
a judge shall not shall not "make any public comment about
a pending or impending proceeding in any court."
Both of the unauthorized absence allegations also relate to public
appearances made by the judge.
In March of 2000, the CJP alleged, Ross arrived about an hour late
because he was giving a radio interview about Proposition 21, a
juvenile crime initiative statute.
In April of 2002 he asked for and was granted two days off to attend
a California Association of Black Lawyers conference in Palm Springs.
In fact, the CJP claims, there were no conference events scheduled
during the first day and Ross spent the time taping a "Life
and Times Tonight" segment and attending an inner-city economic
summit.
In his June 15 response, Ross said his television appearances were
consistent with the California courts' efforts to educate the public
on the judicial process and noted that other judicial officers had
appeared with him or on similar programs. He also contended that
the restrictions on judicial comment on pending cases are unconstitutional.
With respect to the March 2000 incident, Ross acknowledged giving
the interview and taking the bench about 9:30 a.m. But he denied
that court business was interrupted, saying he normally did not
take the bench much earlier than that since he was presiding over
a mass calendar court where much of the first hour of the court
day was taken up with check-ins and attorney-client discussions.
He also charged that the then-site judge in Inglewood, Eric Taylor,
who complained about his lateness, was actually upset because Ross
was supporting then-Deputy District Attorney Patricia Titus in an
impending election contest with Commissioner Deborah Christian,
whom Taylor and most of the other judges in the courthouse were
backing.
Titus won the election. Christian was subsequently appointed a Superior
Court judge by then-Gov. Gray Davis.
The CJP also cited four instances in which Ross allegedly improperly
communicated with criminal defendants or became "embroiled"
in their cases and "abandoned [his] judicial role." Ross
denied any improprieties in his response.
In the amended notice filed Sept. 1, the CJP said the judge contracted
in 2002 with a production company for a show to be called "Mobile
Court." Ross was to resolve small claims cases, with the parties
stipulating to be bound by his rulings, the notice asserted.
The show's premise allegedly was that the hearing would take place
at the scene of the dispute. In the videotape produced to market
the program, Ross heard a vandalism claim in a neighborhood where
the vandalism occurred, the notice claimed.
"In a second case, called 'Beauty and the Beast,'" the
CJP alleged, "you held 'court' in a strip club, and awarded
an 'erotic model' $1,000 for being unfairly disqualified from a
'Miss Wet on the Net' contest."
The videotape was shown to representatives of television stations,
but found no buyers, the CJP asserted.
On the videotape, Ross presided over the cases as "Judge Kevin
Ross," and the marketing efforts listed him as "judge/host,"
the CJP said. Among the ethical canons violated by Ross' conduct,
the CJP asserted, was Canon 2B(2), which provides that a judge "shall
not lend the prestige of judicial office to advance the pecuniary
or personal interests of the judge or others."
Ross' contract provided he would be paid $5,000, the CJP claimed.
In response to the new charge, Ross released a statement conceding
that he appeared in the video, but saying he did so on his own time
and turned over the money he received to the county.
|