October
2021

A report on where
things
stand



Avenatti’s Retrial Won’t Start Tuesday; Proceedings on Hold While Ninth Circuit Considers Double-Jeopardy Argument...New Evidence Emerges As to Girardi’s Coziness With State Bar Personnel…Nomination of Sung Runs Into Snag



Judges, Lawyers Under Scrutiny


Michael J. Avenatti
Attorney/Convict

Michael J. Avenatti

A District Court judge has vacated next Tuesday’s trial date in the case of one-time prominent and monied Los Angeles attorney Michael J. Avenatti—who is facing 10 counts of wire fraud in connection with allegedly siphoning nearly $10 million in client funds—while the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ponders his contention that subjecting him to a second trial would constitute double jeopardy.

The first trial in the U.S. District Court of the Central District of California came to a halt on Aug. 24 when Senior Judge James Selna declared a mistrial because prosecutors withheld potentially exculpatory financial data gleaned from his law firm’s servers. On Oct. 4, Selna rejected Avenatti’s motion to dismiss based on double jeopardy, finding that the motion lacked merit, under case law, because the Brady error was not the result of misconduct and prosecutors had not “goaded” Avenatti into seeking a mistrial.

The lawyer, acting in pro per, filed an interlocutory appeal.

In a brief filed in the District Court on Oct. 14, Avenatti said the trial could not commence as scheduled, setting forth that only where a District Court “has made a written finding that a motion was frivolous, may the court retain jurisdiction” while the order is appealed.

He said:

“The Court previously issued a final, written Order denying defendant’s motion. The Order did not find the motion to be frivolous, not colorable or without any basis in law or fact or ‘devoid of all merit.’ Defendant subsequently appealed that final Order pursuant to well-settled law, which provides for an interlocutory appeal. Accordingly, the Court is divested of jurisdiction until the Ninth Circuit determines the merits of defendant’s appeal and the government’s pending motion to dismiss the appeal.”

At a hearing on Oct. 15, Selna expressly found that the appeal is not frivolous, and vacated the trial date.

Meanwhile, the United States on Oct. 13 moved in the Ninth Circuit for a dismissal of the appeal, saying it was founded on a “frivolous double-jeopardy argument” by Avenatti “to delay a retrial that he asked for.”

The Ninth Circuit said in an order filed Monday:

“Appellee’s motion to dismiss this appeal…is denied without prejudice to renewal in appellee's answering brief.
“Appellant's motion to defer consideration of appellee's motion to dismiss or for an extension of time to respond to the motion…is denied as moot.

“Appellant’s motion to expedite the briefing schedule is granted. Appellant's opening brief and excepts of record are due November 30. 2021; appellee's answering brief is due December 30. 2021; and the optional reply brief is due within 21 days after service of the answering brief.”

The order was issued by Judges M. Margaret McKeown and William Fletcher and Senior Judge Jay Bybee.

The retrial slated for Tuesday was to be on the wire fraud counts, only. Remaining are 26 counts including allegations of failing to file tax returns, willful failure to collect and pay over-withheld taxes, bank fraud, filing  false declarations in bankruptcy, aggravated identity theft, and perjury.

On July 8, Avenatti was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison by U.S. District Court Judge Paul G. Gardephe of the Southern District of New York on attempted extortion and wire fraud counts. The case, tried before a jury in Gardephe’s courtroom, stemmed from Avenatti’s effort to exact a sum of about $25 million from Nike by threatening to blacken its reputation in litigation if it did not comply.

Avenatti is in home confinement in the Venice, Calif. abode of a friend, Jay Manheimer. The order for house arrest, issued by Gardephe, is slated to expire on Dec. 15.

State Bar disciplinary charges were filed July 29, 2019, but proceedings were abated on Sept. 17 of last year in light of pending charges before Selna. The conviction in the case tried in New York renders it a virtual certainty that he will be disbarred. He is under suspension based on that conviction.

Avenatti is scheduled to go on trial in January in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, charged with cheating former client Stormy Daniels, a porn star, out of $300,000. The money Avenatti is accused of taking was an advance to Daniels in connection with her book, “Full Disclosure,” in which she tells of her affair with then-President Donald Trump. Avenatti allegedly forged her signature on a letter to her literary agent, directing that payments be sent to a bank account he controlled.

The lawyer handled a number of high-profile cases, including representation of Daniels—whose actual name is Stephanie Clifford—in her actions against Trump in an effort to skirt a 2016 nondisclosure agreement she signed in connection with a $130,000 pay-off to her for agreeing not to talk publicly of their 2006 affair. He also handled her action against the then-president for defamation.

He is a litigant in a dissolution of marriage case in Orange Superior Court.

Thomas V. Girardi
Former Practicing Lawyer

Thomas V. Girardi

It has emerged that a State Bar Court prosecutor, Dale Nowicki, who reported to a supervisor in the office who was overseeing the disciplinary proceedings against one-time prominent trial lawyer Tom Girardi, had a clandestine professional relationship for more than a year with Girardi’s son-in-law, attorney David Lira.

The matter throws the spotlight, anew, on the State Bar’s laxity though the years in dealing with Girardi.

The State Bar said it did not know of Nowicki’s moonlighting as a lawyer, noting that it was not reported to it, in violation of a policy.

Nowicki resigned from his State Bar post on Oct. 4.

Lira, formerly a member of the firm of Girardi|Keese—which is now shut down—is presently with Engstrom, Lipscomb & Lack. The “Lack” in that firm is its managing partner, Walter Lack, with whom Girardi, while still practicing law, teamed in representing clients in court, with Girardi providing the theatrics and Lack understanding the legal aspects.

The State Bar has said that Nowicki did not have any involvement with the proceedings against Girardi. However, a scandal based on Girardi’s misappropriation of client funds, has spawned attention to the lawyer’s coziness with other State Bar personnel—primarily Tom Layton who, while only an investigator, wielded considerable influence as a Girardi lieutenant.

The Los Angeles Times, in a July 13 article by Harriet Ryan and Matt Hamilton, reported:

“As an investigator for the State Bar of California, Tom Layton was responsible for policing the legal profession for rogue attorneys.

“But while collecting a salary as a watchdog for the public, Layton spent work hours advancing the interests and political connections of a lawyer with a long record of misconduct complaints: the now-disgraced trial attorney Tom Girardi, emails obtained by the Los Angeles Times show.

“During years when clients accused the attorney of stealing from them, Layton, the most high-profile investigator at the agency, was arranging dinner dates for Girardi with civic elites, such as then-Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck and billionaire developer Ed Roski, and otherwise acting as his personal assistant, political operative and, at times, chauffeur, according to the emails.”

Girardi was purportedly exonerated in 2010 of misconduct allegations by outside counsel, appointed by the State Bar, while a partner in his firm, Howard Miller, was State Bar president. Disciplinary charges were not brought.

That decision came notwithstanding a July 13, 2010 determination by a three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit that Girardi, as well as Lack and a junior associate in Lack’s firm, “attempted to enforce a putative foreign judgment for $489 million in district court but failed” and, in appealing, put forth a document which they knew, by then, was “spurious.” Miller’s name appeared on the pleadings in question.

The Ninth Circuit panel said that “[a]s early as January 2003, respondents Lack and Girardi were aware that the Nicaraguan Judgment named the wrong defendant and that the discrepancy could doom any enforcement action in American courts.”

Girardi disclaimed knowledge of the matter. The panel made note of “Girardi's practice of authorizing the Lack firm to sign his name on briefs that turned out to contain falsehoods,” and said that his “proven conduct is at most reckless,” imposing on him a $125,000 sanction.

The State Bar admitted in July that an internal review “revealed mistakes made in some investigations over the many decades of Mr. Girardi’s career going back some 40 years and spanning the tenure of many Chief Trial Counsels.”

It did not elaborate.

With the current focus on the State Bar’s disciplinary system, the question is presented whether other high-profile attorneys who were subjects of publicly aired allegations of misconduct—such as the late Neil Papiano and former Los Angeles County Bar Association President Paul Kiesel—escaped State Bar actions based on their prominence and clout.

Girardi, 82, has moved from his Pasadena mansion into an assisted living facility.

The lawyer was placed in a conservatorship based on short-term memory loss, is being sued for divorce by his wife, actress/singer Erika Jayne, is in bankruptcy proceedings, and is facing litigation involving millions of dollars.

He was relagated to involuntary inactive status by the State Bar on March 9. Disciplinary charges were filed against him on March 30 alleging 14 counts involving the large-scale cheating of clients.

His ability to pay damages is in doubt. Girardi now professes a lack of assets, saying in court papers last year:
“At one point I had about $80 million or $50 million in cash. That’s all gone. I don’t have any money.”

The trustee in the bankruptcy of Girardi’s dissolved law firm, Girardi | Keese, is seeking $25 million from Jayne, asserting she knew that funds for gifts and “glam” services lavished on her were derived from settlements stolen from her husband’s clients.

Girardi and his firm represented four sets of plaintiffs—families, including minors—in multidistrict litigation in In Re: Lion Air Flight JT 610 Crash, assigned to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. The case stemmed from a plane crash on Oct. 29, 2018, causing the death of all 189 persons who were aboard. A settlement was reached. In violation of court orders to electronically disburse settlement funds that were in his client trust account (“CTA”), Girardi held onto $2 million of the funds. According to the State Bar complaint:

“On or about September 3, 2020, the balance in respondent’s CTA was $239,396.25. On or about December 4, 2020, before respondent had disbursed any portion of the $2,000,000.00 from respondent’s CTA to, or on behalf of the minor plaintiffs, the balance in respondent’s CTA was $14,384.85.”

On Dec. 14, 2020, U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Durkin of the Northern District of Illinois found Girardi in contempt for violating his orders, directed entry of a $2 million judgment against him, and ordered that his assets be frozen.

The judge said of the plaintiffs:

“These are widows and orphans. Half a million dollars for any one of these families is a significant amount of money. Life changing, given the tragedy they went through.”

A Dec. 2, 2020 class action alleges that Girardi and Jayne embezzled the money to fund their “outrageous lifestyles…in the glitz-and-glam world of Hollywood and Beverly Hills.”

It is also alleged by the State Bar that Girardi “willfully and intentionally misappropriated at least $269,759.70” of a $504,400 settlement of a client’s suit for the wrongful death of her husband.

Philip James Layfield
Disbarred Attorney, Accused Felon, Truck Driver

Disbarred lawyer Philip James Layfield is facing a potential sentence of more than 200 years in prison after being convicted by a jury in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California on Aug. 27 on 19 counts of wire fraud, one count of mail fraud, one count of tax evasion, one count of failure to collect and pay over payroll taxes, and one misdemeanor charge of failure to file a tax return. A sentencing hearing is slated for Nov. 8.

Layfield was remanded into federal custody. The 13-day trial took place in the courtroom of Judge Michael W. Fitzgerald.

As federal investigators closed in on him in 2017, Layfield fled to Costa Rica in June of that year, was in the United States for two days in October 2017, returned to Costa Rica, and came back to the U.S. on Feb. 19, 2018. He was arrested in New Jersey one week later and was indicted here on March 9, 2018.

The prosecution began in connection with Layfield having pocketed settlement funds belonging to Josephine Nguyen, who was a client of the then-firm of Layfield & Barrett. She was to receive 60 percent of a $3.9 million settlement of her personal injury claim, amounting to $2.3 million.

A superseding indictment expanded the scope of the prosecution to include tax evasion and fraud for 2016 and 2017.


Judiciary: Vacancies, Appointments




Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

There are four upcoming vacancies on the 29-member court. Judges Marsha S. Berzon, 76, William A. Fletcher, 75, Susan Graber, 71, and Richard A. Paez, 74, will be assuming senior status upon confirmation of their successors.

President Joseph Biden on July 13 nominated Oregon attorney Jennifer Sung, a former union organizer, as Graber’s replacement. On Sept. 14, 2021, the Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on her nomination. She was questioned about a letter she signed urging a rejection of Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court, terming him an “intellectually and morally bankrupt ideologue.” Sung acknowledged to the committee that the letter “was overheated” but did not back down on the assessment of Kavanaugh, now a member of the nation’s high court. On Oct. 21, the committee was tied 10-10 on its recommendation, spelling a likely death to chances of confirmation.

On Sept. 8, Biden nominated Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Holly A. Thomas to replace Fletcher, U.S. District Court Judge Lucy H. Koh of the Northern District of California—wife of California Supreme Court Justice Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar—to assume Paez’s seat, and First District Court of Appeal Justice Gabriel P. Sanchez to take over from Berzon.

.

 

There are six vacancies and Biden on Sept. 8 made nominations to two of those slots.

If confirmed, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Maame Ewusi-Mensah Frimpong will replace Judge Christina A. Snyder, who took senior status Nov. 23, 2016, and Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Hernan D. Vera will have the seat previously occupied by Judge Margaret Morrow who went on senior status Oct. 29, 2015, then left the bench to become president and chief executive of Public Counsel, a post from which she recently departed.

The latest vacancy was created when Judge James V. Selna took senior status on March 4, 2020; a vacancy was created July 5, 2019, when Judge Andrew J. Guilford went on senior status; Judge Manuel Real assumed senior status on Nov. 4, 2018, after 52 years on the bench, and died June 26, 2019; Judge Beverly Reid O’Connell died Oct. 8, 2017, at the age of 52.

Judge Virginia Phillips, a former chief judge, is set to retire on Feb. 14, on her 65th birthday. That is the first day she will be eligible to retire with full benefits.



Justice Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar departs the court tomorrow to become president of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, a “think tank.”

Second District

There are four vacancies. A presiding justice, Tricia Bigalow of Div. Eight, and two associate justices—Laurie Zelon of Div. Seven and Halim Dhanidina of Div. Three—retired, and Jeffrey Johnson, an associate justice of Div. One, was removed by the Commission on Judicial Performance based on a pattern of improper sexual advances and other misconduct.

Court of Appeal Justice Frank J. Menetrez of the Fourth District’s Div. Two has applied for a transfer to this district. Others under consideration for appointment here include former Los Angeles County Bar Association President Rex Heinke, 71.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mark E. Windham will be serving on assignment to the Court of Appeal until Nov. 30 as will Judge Kimberly A. Knill of the Orange Superior Court.


Los Angeles County

There are no reported upcoming retirements.



 

 

 


Copyright Metropolitan News Company, 1999-2021