Nov.
30, 2001 |
![]() ![]() |
A report on where |
Seven Superior Court Contests Loom on March Ballot...Couwenberg Asks Supreme
Court for Chance to Return to Practice...Ninth Circuit Judge Procter Hug
Jr. to Take Senior Status
|
Judges, Lawyers Under Scrutiny
|
Judicial Elections
|
There will be seven Los Angeles Superior Court contests on the March 5 ballot, four for open seats and three challenges of sitting judges, assuming that candidates who have filed declarations of intent to run return their nomination documents by next Friday's deadline. Seeking election
are: Marckese has retained campaign consultant Parke Skelton, who worked on his unsuccesful race last year. Renetzky is being assisted by Hermosa Beach-based consultant Fred Huebcher. •
Office No. 39-Deputy District Attorneys Richard Naranjo and Craig Renetzky
and Acton attorney Larry H. Layton. Renetzky, the son of Office No.
2 candidate Donald Renetzky, has also retained Huebscher. •
Office No. 40-Judge Floyd Baxter and former Newhall Municipal Court
Commissioner Ross Alan Stucker. Huebscher is Baxter's campaign consultant.
•
Office No. 53-Deputy District Attorney Lauren Weis, former Los Angeles
Superior Court Commissioner Richard Espinoza, mid-Wilshire practitioner
Richard S. Harrison, State Bar Court Judge Michael D. Marcus, Encino
attorney Thomas H. Warden and Covina lawyer H. Don Christian. Weis has
retained Huebscher as her consultant. •
Office No. 67-Deputy District Attorney David Gelfound, Pasadena attorney
David Crawford, State Bar Court Judge Paul Bacigalupo, and Los Angeles
Superior Court Commissioner Steven K. Lubell. Gelfound has retained
Huebscher's services. •
Office No. 90-Judge C. Robert Simpson Jr. and Glendale attorney Kenneth
E. Wright. Simpson has retained Cerrell Associates Inc. as his consultant.
•
Office No. 100-Judge Reginald Dunn and Deputy District Attorney Richard
Walmark. (Two candidates who filed declarations of intent to run, with
the express expectation that Dunn wouldn't file, said they will not
return papers for the seat. They are Warden and Superior Court Commissioner
Glenda Veasey. Warden, however, said he will run for Office No. 100,
rather than Office No. 53, if Dunn doesn't return the nomination documents.) |
Judiciary: Vacancies, Appointments
|
![]()
There
are three vacancies on the 28-judge court, with another one slated
when Judge Procter Hug Jr. takes senior status Jan. 1. Judge
James Browning took senior status Sept. 1 of last year. Previous vacancies
resulted when Judge Cynthia Holcomb Hall took senior status Aug. 31,
1997 and when the late Judge Charles E. Wiggins took senior status
Dec. 31, 1996. President
Bush resubmitted the nominations of Los Angeles Superior Court Judge
Carolyn B. Kuhl and Hawaii attorney and Republican activist Richard
R. Clifton on Sept. 4. Kuhl
and Clifton were originally nominated June 22. The nominations were
returned to the president on Aug. 3 when a disagreement over other
nominees resulted in the Senate returning all pending nominations.
Senate
rules require that all pending nominations be returned to the president
prior to a recess absent unanimous consent. Kuhl,
48, is a six-year veteran of the Superior Court bench. She previously
served in the U.S. Department of Justice as a special assistant to
Attorney General William French Smith, and worked in the office of
the solicitor general during the Reagan administration. President
Clinton's nominees for the Hall and Wiggins seats, attorneys Joseph
Duffy Jr. of Honolulu and Barry Goode of San Francisco, never received
confirmation hearings. Goode now serves as legal affairs secretary
to Gov. Gray Davis. |
Judge Carlos Moreno was confirmed as a California Supreme Court justice Oct. 17, creating a sixth vacancy. Earlier vacancies resulted from Judge J. Spencer Letts taking senior status Dec. 19, the elevation of Judge Richard Paez to the Ninth Circuit in March of last year, Judge William Keller's taking senior status Oct. 29, 1999, and the retirement of Judge John Davies and Judge Kim Wardlaw's elevation to the Ninth Circuit, both of which occurred in July 1998. A procedure for naming successors was announced by U.S. Sens. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein and Judiciary Advisory Committee chair Gerald Parsky. Parsky, a West Los Angeles attorney and investment banker, was President Bush's state campaign chair. The committee has four subcommittees, one for each district. Under an agreement between the White House and the two Democratic senators, three members of each subcommittee were chosen by Parsky and three by the two senators. The subcommittee, by majority vote, will recommend three to five people for each vacancy, and Parsky will review the choices and advise the president. |
![]()
There are no vacancies. |
![]() First District Presiding Justice Gary Strankman retired from Div. One July 31. Presiding
Justice Daniel Hanlon retired from Div. Four Dec. 31. Justice
Herbert W. Walker retired from Div. Three at the end of March. Div.
Five also has a vacancy, a new position as a result of Senate Bill
1857, which took effect Jan. 1. This District (Second District)
Candace Cooper, formerly an associate justice in Div. Two, was confirmed
and sworn in Nov. 21 as presiding justice of Div. Eight, created by
SB 1857. Also confirmed and sworn in that day was Paul Boland, formerly
a Los Angeles Superior Court judge, as an associate justice of Div.
Eight. Los
Angeles Superior Court Judge Judith Ashmann faces a Dec. 7 confirmation
hearing for the Div. Two seat vacated by Cooper. One
vacancy remains in Div. Eight. Among those who have been evaluated
by the Commission on Judicial Nominees Evaluation and could be appointed
to that post are Los Angeles Superior Court Judges Gregory Alarcon,
Laurie Zelon and Madeline Flier and Ventura Superior Court Judge Melinda
Johnson. Third District There is one vacancy, a new position created by SB 1857. Fourth District
Richard Aronson, formerly an Orange Superior Court judge, was confirmed
and sworn in Nov. 21 as a justice in Div. Three, filling one of two
seats created by SB 1857. The other seat established by that act is
still vacant, as is the seat of Justice Thomas Crosby, who retired
June 1. Div.
One and Div. Two each have a vacancy created by SB 1857. Fifth District There is one vacancy, a newly created position under SB 1857. Sixth District Presiding Justice Christopher Cottle retired Aug. 31. There is also a newly created position under SB 1857. |
![]() Los Angeles County
Other
recent vacancies were created by the elevations of Judge Laurence
Rubin, on Oct. 22, and Judge Paul Boland, on Nov. 21, to the Court
of Appeal, and by the Nov. 5 retirement of Judge Richard Charvat. Ten
judges retired earlier this year-Thomas Allen Jan. 2, Thomas Schneider
Feb. 6, Harvey Schneider April 16, Paul Metzler May 1, Richard Kalustian
May 8, Arnold Gold May 21, Kenneth Chotiner May 31, Kurt J. Lewin
Aug. 16, Elva Soper Sept. 30 and David Perez Oct. 5. Other
vacancies resulted from the deaths of Judge Stephen O'Neill July 10
and Judge Ronald Cappai July 17, the May 4 resignation of Judge Patrick
Murphy, and the creation of a new position under SB 1857, effective
Jan. 1. Further
vacancies are slated. Judge Elvira Austin, who had originally planned
to leave this month, has postponed her departure until Jan. 7. Judges
David B. Finkel and James Albracht will retire Jan. 27, and Judge
Michael Pirosh is leaving at the end of January. The court is currently conducting a runoff for a commissioner vacancy. The candidates are Referee Mitchell Beckloff and Deputy District Attorney Scott M. Gordon, and results are expected next week. |
Bills Affecting the Legal Community
|
The Legislature is out of session. |
Copyright Metropolitan News Company, 1999-2001