May
31, 2001 |
![]() ![]() |
A
report on where |
Murphy
Off Bench Following Resignation and Removal...Simpson Applies for Disability
Retirement...Presiding Justice Cottle Retiring From Sixth District Court
of Appeal
|
Judges,
Lawyers Under Scrutiny
|
A panel of special masters, appointed by the Commission on Judicial Performance, found May 15 that Couwenberg, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge since 1997, misrepresented his educational and military backgrounds to various sources, including the governor who appointed him. The judge has admitted that he falsely claimed to hold a master’s degree in psychology and made false claims of military experience, including an award of a Purple Heart, in Vietnam. The panel also found that the judge lied to the commission itself, in sworn testimony, by claiming to have participated in covert operations with the CIA in Southeast Asia in 1967 and 1968. Couwenberg testified that those claims are true, although he no longer maintains he was with the CIA and says he doesn’t know what agency he was looking for. A CIA official testified that Couwenberg wasn’t working for that agency and that it’s highly unlikely that any other agency would have recruited Couwenberg for operations in Laos because no such missions were authorized. Couwenberg claimed that some of his misstatements were intended to be humorous. Other statements, he contended, were typed onto official forms by his wife, based on statements he had made to her 20 years earlier, a claim the masters found lacking in credibility. A psychiatrist testified that the judge suffers from "pseudologica fantastica," a symptom of low self-esteem rooted in the judge’s early childhood in what is now Indonesia followed by difficult relocations, first to Holland and then to the United States. The doctor said that the condition causes Couwenberg to mix fact and fantasy, but that it is treatable with therapy and doesn’t render him unfit for judicial service. The masters, however, largely agreed with a psychiatrist called by commission lawyers at the masters’ hearing. Psychological testing data, Dr. James Rosenberg said, doesn’t show that the judge’s "repetitive lying" as an adult is due to childhood trauma, nor that he suffers from any recognized mental illness. |
The Commission on Judicial Performance ordered Murphy, a judge since 1993, removed from office on May 10. The commission approved a report by a panel of special masters, who found that the judge—who hasn’t worked regularly since mid-1998 and last took the bench in June of last year—abandoned his duties and lied about being too sick to work. The commission acted without awareness that Murphy had submitted a letter of resignation, which was dated May 4 and received by the governor May 9. The resignation was effective on the May 4 date, a spokesman for Secretary of State Bill Jones told the METNEWS. The commissioners — like the masters — rejected Murphy’s claim that a "phobia" of the court left him unfit to resume his duties on the bench but capable of approving search warrants, teaching law classes, taking exams, exploring new careers and beginning medical school in the Caribbean. The CJP noted that one of Murphy’s doctors told the Ross University Medical School on the island of Dominica that Murphy had no health problems that would preclude his studying medicine, at the same time that another of his doctors was telling court officials that he was too sick to work. The commission also found that Murphy had shown a "cavalier attitude to sick leave" as early as 1996, when he would teach law school in the evenings on days that he purported to be too ill to sit as a judge. |
Judiciary:
Vacancies, Appointments
|
![]() ![]() Ninth Circuit Judge James Browning took senior status Sept. 1, leaving three vacancies on the 28-judge court. Previous vacancies resulted when Judge Cynthia Holcomb Hall took senior status Aug. 31, 1997 and when Judge Charles E. Wiggins, who died last year, took senior status Dec. 31, 1996. President Clinton’s nominees for the Hall and Wiggins seats, attorneys Joseph Duffy Jr. of Honolulu and Barry Goode of San Francisco, never received confirmation hearings. President Bush was expected to nominate Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Carolyn B. Kuhl and Rep. Christopher Cox, R-Newport Beach, for two of the seats. But the nominations were delayed after Democratic U.S. Sens. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein complained they had not been consulted. Boxer, in a letter to the editor published in the New York Times May 14, said Cox was unacceptable because of his staunchly conservative voting record on social, environmental, and gun-control issues. When Sen. James Jeffords bolted the GOP, giving Democrats control of the Senate, Cox said he feared a divisive confirmation battle and asked Bush not to nominate him. Spokespersons for Boxer and Feinstein said the senators were reviewing Kuhl’s record and would advise the White House of their views. The third nominee must come, under recent legislation, from Hawaii—the only state in the Ninth Circuit without an active resident judge. |
![]() Central District of California Judge J. Spencer Letts took senior status Dec. 19, creating a fifth vacancy. Earlier vacancies resulted from the elevation of Judge Richard Paez to the Ninth Circuit in March of last year, Judge William Keller’s taking senior status Oct. 29, 1999, and the retirement of Judge John Davies and Judge Kim Wardlaw’s elevation to the Ninth Circuit, both of which occurred in July 1998. A procedure for naming successors was announced Tuesday by U.S. Sens. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein and Judiciary Advisory Committee chair Gerald Parsky. Parsky, an attorney and investment banker, was President Bush’s state campaign chair. The committee will have four subcommittees, one for each district. Under an agreement between the White House and the two Democratic senators, three members of each subcommittee will be chosen by Parsky and three by the two senators. The subcommittee, by majority vote, will then recommend three to five people for each vacancy, and Parsky will review the choices and advise the president. The Central District subcommittee is chaired by retired Presiding Court of Appeal Justice Elwood Lui, chosen by Parsky. The other Parsky selections are attorneys Thomas Malcolm of Irvine and Robert Bonner of Los Angeles, while Boxer picked Burlingame attorney Joseph Cotchett, Feinstein chose Los Angeles litigator Holly Fujie, and the two senators jointly chose Santa Ana trial lawyer Wiley Aitken. The court is in the process of selecting four magistrate judges to fill new positions, along with a replacement for Santa Ana-based Magistrate Judge Elgin Edwards, who is retiring next month. |
![]()
There
are no vacancies.
|
![]() First District Presiding Justice Gary Strankman will retire from Div. One at the end of next month. Presiding Justice Daniel Hanlon retired from Div. Four Dec. 31. Justice Herbert W. Walker retired from Div. Three at the end of March. Div. Five also has a vacancy, a new position as a result of Senate Bill 1857, which took effect Jan. 1. This District (Second District) Justice Ramona Godoy Perez of Div. Five has been on sick leave since Feb. 8 and is not expected to return to the court. Justice Richard Neal retired from Div. Seven Feb. 9. All four seats in Div. Eight, created by SB 1857, are vacant. Third District There is one vacancy, a new position created by SB 1857. Fourth District There are four vacancies—one in Div. One, one in Div. Two, and two in Div. Three-in new positions created by SB 1857. There is a second vacancy in Div. One as a result of the May 16 death of Justice Don Work, and Justice Thomas Crosby of Div. Three has slated retirement for tomorrow. Fifth District There is one vacancy, a newly created position under SB 1857. Sixth District There is one vacancy, a newly created position under SB 1857. Presiding Justice Christopher Cottle is retiring at the end of August, when Justice Patricia Bamatre-Manoukian will take over as acting presiding justice. |
![]() Los Angeles County Four judges retired this month—Paul Metzler on May 1, Richard Kalustian May 8, Arnold Gold May 21, and Kenneth Chotiner May 31—while Judge Patrick Murphy resigned May 4. There are now 17 vacancies on the court. They include the seats of Judges Roy Carstairs, who retired July 24 of last year; George Schiavelli, who stepped down July 31; Kathryn Doi Todd and Robert Mallano, elevated to the Court of Appeal on Aug. 18; Donald Pitts, who retired Aug. 31; Glennette Blackwell, who stepped down Sept. 30; Richard Berry and Thomas P. Allen Jr., both retired as of Oct. 1; William McVittie, who stepped down Dec. 4; Thomas Schneider, who retired Feb. 6 of this year; and Harvey Schneider, who stepped down April 16. There is also a newly created position under SB 1857. There are two commissioner vacancies as a result of Norman Tarle and Allen Webster Jr. receiving judicial posts last month. Also, Commissioner Ulysses Burns is retiring June 4. The new commissioners will be chosen from among more than 200 candidates, including a number of the court’s full-time and part-time referees, who applied. A list of qualified candidates will be culled from that group and will be used to fill future vacancies. The court is temporarily without the services of Judge Thomas Willhite, whose assignment to Div. Five has been extended through the end of next month, and Judge Thomas McKnew Jr., who began a three-month assignment to Div. Two on April 1. |
Bills
Affecting the Legal Community
|
•AB 36, by Assemblyman Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, which would provide that in an action based upon injury, wrongful death or financial loss allegedly caused by a defective product, financial fraud, unfair insurance claims practice or environmental hazard, certain information contained in settlement discussions or acquired during discovery shall be presumed to be public information and may not be kept confidential as part of the settlement. The bill specifies that its provisions are not intended to affect the confidentiality of settlement agreements between participants in mediation proceedings, or the confidentiality of evidence protected under the Evidence Code. The bill passed the Assembly Judiciary Committee on a 6-3 vote May 15, and was sent to the Assembly floor. •AB 84, by Assembly Speaker Robert Hertzberg, D-Sherman Oaks, which would protect the home address of a trial court employee from public release by the Department of Motor Vehicles, upon the request of the employee. The bill was approved by the Assembly Appropriations Committee on a 21-0 vote May 17, passed the Assembly on May 24, and was sent to the Senate. •AB 146, by Assemblyman Howard Wayne, D-San Diego, which would specify that service on a governmental board or commission by an administrative law judge or an attorney employed by the state in a non-elected position shall not, by itself, be deemed a conflict of interest that requires the automatic vacation of one of the positions. The bill was approved by the Senate Governmental Organization Committee on a 10-0 vote May 29, and was sent to the Senate floor. •AB 363, by Steinberg, would direct the State Bar to adopt a rule of professional conduct clarifying the competing obligations of government attorneys to protect the interests of the taxpayers and protect the confidences of their client. The bill, intended to protect "whistleblower" attorneys from being disciplined by the State Bar or fired, passed the Assembly Judiciary Committee on a 10-0 vote May 2, was approved by the Assembly on a 71-3 vote May 14, and was sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee. •AB 732, by Wayne, which would provide that statutes pertaining to the recovery of attorney fees following the rejection of a settlement offer do not apply to any enforcement action brought by the attorney general, district attorneys or city attorneys. The bill was approved by the Assembly on a 76-0 vote May 10, and was sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee. •AB 830, by Assemblywoman Rebecca Cohn, D-Saratoga, which would require the state Department of Aging to create a task force with a budget of $50,000 to study whether the state should establish a statewide telephone hotline for seniors who need legal advice. The bill was approved by the Assembly Appropriations Committee on a 21-0 vote May 2, was approved by the Assembly on a 73-0 vote May 17, and was sent to the Senate. •AB 913, by Steinberg, which would require that any contract with the state for legal services which exceeds $50,000 must certify that the contracting law firm agrees to provide a minimum amount of pro bono services — the equivalent of 20 hours per full-time attorney per year, not to exceed an amount of work valued at more than 10 percent of the contract. The bill was approved by the Assembly Judiciary Committee on an 8-1 vote May 8, and was sent to the Assembly floor. •SB 303, by Sen. Tom Torlakson, D-Martinez, which would exempt San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District police from jury duty in civil or criminal cases. The bill was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee on a 4-1 vote May 1, passed the Senate on a 23-12 vote May 7, and was sent to the Assembly Judiciary Committee. •SB 371, by Sen. Martha Escutia, D-Montebello, which would establish the Trial Court Interpreter Employment and Labor Relations Act and would establish provisions and procedures governing the employment and compensation of certified and registered trial court interpreters employed by the Judicial Council. The bill was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee on a 4-2 vote May 9, passed the Senate on a 21-13 vote May 21, and was sent to the Assembly. •SB 352, Sen. Sheila Kuehl, D-Santa Monica, which would reduce State Bar fees $5 a year for most attorneys, reflecting a decrease in the fee for the Client Security Fund. The bill cannot become law unless SB 479, below, is signed into law. The bill was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee on a 6-1 vote May 1, passed the Senate on a 28-9 vote May 14 and was sent to the Assembly Judiciary Committee. •SB 475, by Escutia, which would require the Judicial Council to collect information from the trial courts regarding the use of referees in discovery matters, and to report findings to the Legislature. The bill was approved by the Senate on a 33-3 vote May 21 and was sent to the Assembly. •SB 476, by Escutia, which would require an appellate court to accept supplemental briefs from the parties before affirming a summary judgment on a ground not relied upon by the trial court. The bill was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee on a 5-2 vote May 15, and was sent to the Senate floor. •SB 479, by Senate President Pro Tem John Burton, D-San Francisco, which would require the State Bar to administer a diversion program to facilitate treatment and recovery of lawyers due to abuse of drugs or alcohol, or due to mental illness. The bill would authorize the State Bar to increase its annual fees $10 per lawyer to cover the costs of the program. The bill, which is double-joined to the State Bar dues bill, SB 352, was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee on a 4-1 vote May 7, passed the Senate on a 21-12 vote May 10, and was sent to the Assembly Judiciary Committee. •SB 565, by Morrow, which would set forth the Class Action Improvements Act, with numerous changes to procedures involving class actions. The bill was defeated by the Senate Judiciary Committee on a 2-3 vote May 1. •SB 623, by Escutia, which would appropriate $2.1 million to develop new court facilities in Los Angeles, Calaveras, Lassen and Madera counties. Los Angeles County would receive $1 million to begin construction of a 116,300-square-foot courthouse in the Southeast District. The bill was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee on a 5-2 vote May 8, and was sent to the Senate Appropriations Committee. •SB 817, by Sen. Ross Johnson, R-Irvine, which would change the application requirements and deadlines for State Bar examinations, based on recommendations of the State Bar. The bill was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee on a 7-0 vote May 8, passed the Senate on a 38-0 vote May 17 and was sent to the Assembly. |
Copyright Metropolitan News Company, 1999-2001