March
31, 2017 |
![]() ![]() |
A report on where |
Superior Court Judge Edmund W. Clarke Loses Bid for State High Court Review of Public Admonishment, Alliance Says It Will Support U.S. Supreme Court Review...Settlement Conference Regarding Trutanich Misconduct Charges Set for May 8...Bill to Reallocate Judgeships Passes Senate Judiciary Committee |
![]()
There are four vacancies on the 29-judge court. Judge Harry Pregerson took senior status Dec. 11, 2015; Judge Barry Silverman took senior status Oct. 11; and Judges Richard Clifton and Diarmuid O’Scannlain took senior status Dec. 3.
|
There are five vacancies. Judge Audrey B. Collins retired Aug. 1, 2014 to join the state Court of Appeal; Judge Margaret Morrow took senior status Oct. 29, 2015 and subsequently left the bench to become president and chief executive of Public Counsel; Judge Dean Pregerson took senior status Jan. 28 of last year; Judge Christina A. Snyder took senior status Nov. 23 of last year; and Judge George H. King retired Jan. 6. |
![]()
Justice Kathryn M. Werdegar is retiring Aug. 31. |
![]() Second District There are vacancies in Div. Two, due to the Jan. 31 retirement of Presiding Justice Roger Boren; Div. Three, due to the Oct. 5, 2015 retirement of Justice Patti S. Kitching; Div. Five, due to the retirement of Justice Richard Mosk, who left the court March 30 of last year and died 18 days later; and Div. Seven, due to the retirement of Justice Fred Woods on March 31, 2015. Fourth District Justice Alex McDonald of Div. One died Sept. 8. Seats in other districts are filled. |
Los Angeles Superior Court
Judge Lloyd Nash retired March 3. |
Legislation of Interest to the Legal Community
|
The Legislature took the following action on bills of interest to the legal community in March. •AB 42 by Assemblymember Rob Bonta, D-Oakland, which, as amended March 27, would implement a revised pretrial release procedure in misdemeanor and some felony cases, including a requirement that counties establish pretrial services agencies to determine eligibility. The bill was re-referred to the Public Safety Committee March 28. •SB 6 by Sen. Ben Hueso, D-El Centro, which would create the Due Process for All Act, and would, among other things, appropriate funds to pay lawyers to represent immigrants facing removal from the United States. As amended March 1, the bill would fix the amount of the appropriation at $12 million. As amended March 29, the bill would prohibit the use of those funds to provide counsel for violent felons and would grant priority to veterans and their spouses, as well as relatives of citizens and persons in certain other categories. •SB 8 by Sen. Jim Beall, D-San Jose, which would expand mental health diversion, currently available only to misdemeanor defendants, to those charged with low-level felonies. As amended Feb. 21, the bill says the court may consider police reports, preliminary hearing transcripts, witness statements, statements by the defendant’s mental health treatment provider, medical records, or records by qualified medical experts, among other evidence, to determine whether the defendant’s mental issues substantially contributed to the alleged criminal conduct. The bill passed the Public Safety Committee March 21 by a vote of 5-2 and was sent to the Judiciary Committee. •SB 29 by Sen. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens, which would prohibit local governments from contracting with private entities to detain immigrants facing deportation. The bill passed the Judiciary Committee March 28 by a vote of 5-2 and was sent to the Appropriations Committee. •SB 39 by Sen. Richard Roth, D-Riverside, which would reallocate four vacant superior court judgeships in counties that have more judges than needed, based on Judicial Council methodology, to the counties with the greatest need. The bill passed the Judiciary Committee March 28 by a vote of 6-1 and was sent to the Appropriations Committee. |
Copyright Metropolitan News Company, 1999-2017