Jan.
31, 2012 |
![]() ![]() |
A report on where |
Filing Opens for Los Angeles Superior Court Candidates... Suzanne H. Segal Becomes Chief U.S. Magistrate Judge for Central District... Assembly Passes Sex Offender Registration Bill and AB1208 |
Yesterday was the first day to file declarations of intent to run for the Los Angeles Superior Court. Nine candidates—Deputy District Attorneys Shannon Knight, Eric Harmon, Andrea Thompson and Sean Coen; Los Angeles Deputy City Attorney Matthew Schonbrun; civil attorneys Mark Bernsley, Lawrence Kaldor and Berg Parseghian; and criminal defense lawyer Robert M. Ross—have taken steps toward running for open seats in the June primary, and Bernsley said he has not ruled out running against an incumbent. |
Ricardo Torres II The District Attorney’s Office said July 6 of last year it is investigating whether Torres, a onetime rising star in local politics, should be charged with a crime based on his admitted misappropriation of client funds. A senior prosecutor said an investigation had been opened earlier, but was suspended because State Bar disciplinary proceedings were pending. Pierce O'Donnell O’Donnell—a prominent lawyer, Democratic activist, and onetime congressional candidate—is scheduled to stand trial today on misdemeanor charges of making illegal political donations to the 2004 presidential campaign of then-Sen. John Edwards. |
![]()
The Senate voted 95-3 on Dec. 15 to confirm Alaska Supreme Court Justice Morgan Christen as the newest judge of the court. Christen was nominated May 18 to fill the seat left vacant when Judge Andrew Kleinfeld took senior status June 12, 2010. |
The Senate Judiciary Committee on Nov. 3 favorably reported the nomination of Michael W. Fitzgerald, tapped by the president on July 20 to succeed Judge A. Howard Matz. Matz took senior status July 11. Fitzgerald received a unanimous “well qualified” rating from the ABA. |
![]()
There are no vacancies. |
![]() Second District Justice Paul Coffee is retiring from Div. Six, but has not set an official date, a court spokesperson said. Third District There has been a vacancy since Tani Cantil-Sakauye became chief justice in January of last year. Forth District A Feb. 10 confirmation hearing is scheduled for Justice Kathleen O’Leary, nominated in December to succeed the late David Sills as presiding justice. Sixth District Justice Richard McAdams retired Feb. 28. The governor has sent the name of Santa Clara Superior Court Judge Brian Walsh to the JNE Commission as a possible successor. Seats in other districts are filled. |
Los Angeles Superior Court
Judge Andrew Kauffman retired May 15, Judge William Birney July 7, Judge John Shook July 15, and Judge Martha Bellinger July 31. Three judges retired in September—Judith Champagne Sept. 1, Michael Latin Sept. 5, and Maral Injejikian Sept. 6. |
Legislation of Interest to the Legal Community
|
The following bills of interest to the legal community were acted upon in January: •AB 625, by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, which, as amended, would establish a tiered system of sex offender registration, in which some offenders would have to register for 10 years after release from custody, some for 20 years, and others for life. The bill passed the Assembly Jan. 26 by a vote of 40-28. •AB 1089, by Assemblyman Luis Alejo, D-Salinas, which, as amended, would authorize a bilingual judge, notwithstanding any other law, to provide an unofficial translation of preliminary court procedures that do not bear on any substantive right of a party when a court interpreter is not immediately available. A scheduled hearing Jan. 10 was postponed by the Judiciary Committee. •AB 1208, by Assemblyman Charles Calderon, D-Industry, which would grant greater autouomy to local trial courts. The bill passed the Assembly yesterday by a vote of 41-23. |
Copyright Metropolitan News Company, 1999-2012