Feb.
26, 2010 |
![]() ![]() |
A report on where |
Twenty-One Candidates Seek Superior Court Seats in June 8 Primary as Three Incumbents Are Challenged...Disbarred Lawyer Fine, Confined Under Coercive Contempt Order, Asks Yaffe for Freedom...Judge Grimes Faces April 5 Confirmation Hearing for Court of Appeal |
The following judicial contests will appear on the June 8 primary ballot, assuming that all candidates who have taken out nomination documents return them by the March 12 deadline: • Office No. 28—Beverly Hills attorney Mark Ameli, West Los Angeles attorney/mediator Elizabeth Moreno, Deputy Public Defender C. Edward Mack, Deputy District Attorney Edward Nison, Superior Court Referee Randall Hammock, Hawthorne Deputy City Attorney Kim Smith, Long Beach attorney/mediator Kendall Reed and Los Angeles Deputy City Attorney Chris Garcia, for the seat now held by Judge Emily Stevens. Campaign consultants working in the race are David Gould for Ameli, Jill Barad for Hammock, Fred Huebscher for Smith, and Cerrell Associates Inc. for Garcia. • Office No. 35—Superior Court Judge Soussan G. Bruguera and Los Angeles attorney Douglas Weitzman. Huebscher is Bruguera’s consultant. • Office No. 73—Superior Court Judge Laura Matz and Glendale attorney Marvin Fischler. • Office No. 107—Deputy District Attorney Valerie Salkin, San Pedro attorney R. Stephen Bolinger and Pasadena attorney Tony de los Reyes for the seat now held by Judge William Weisman, who has scheduled his retirement for May 11. Salkin has retained the Cerrell firm, while Barad is the consultant for de los Reyes. • Office No. 117—Torrance attorney Pattricia Vienna, Deputy District Attorney Alan Schneider, Calabassas attorney William Margolin, and Los Angeles Deputy City Attorney Tom Griego for the seat now held by Judge William Pounders. Huebscher is Schneider’s consultant, while Parke Skelton is working for Griego. • Office No. 131—Superior Court Judge Maren Nelson, who has retained Huebscher, and Hollywood attorney James G. Baklayan. |
Richard
A. Windom Widom, until recently a name partner at the workers’ compensation firm now known as Stockwell Harris Woolverton Muehl, was found not guilty of two misdemeanor charges by a Los Angeles Superior Court jury on Feb. 3 The jury acquitted Widom of one misdemeanor count of inflicting injury on a spouse and one misdemeanor count of spousal battery. The alleged victim was Lisa Kerner, a lawyer at Stockwell Harris whom Widom is in the process of divorcing. The acquittal came one week after Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Louis M. Meisinger dismissed a civil suit by Kerner against Widom, finding her testimony unworthy of belief. Widom said Kerner “made up this whole story about domestic violence after she attacked me” when he told her their less-than-four-year-old marriage was over and that she needed to move out of his home. Kerner remains one of Stockwell Harris’ vice presidents, but Widom was terminated and entered solo practice. He has been pursuing a lawsuit against the firm since June, contending it used the criminal charges as a pretense to fire him and deprive him of $4 million on deposit in a deferred-compensation plan.. Harvey
Silberman Orange Superior Court Judge Richard M. King last month dismissed charges that Silberman and two political consultants solicited bribes, but declined to throw out related charges of solicitation to induce a candidate not to run for public office. The charges stem from the 2008 contest in which Silberman defeated Deputy District Attorney Serena Murillo for an open seat on the court. Lori Ann Jones Jones, a court commissioner since March 2006, was placed on paid administrative leave Sept. 18 of last year following the release of grand jury transcripts in which she testified to having conveyed to then-judicial candidate Serena Murillo a suggestion that funds would be available to pay Murillo’s filing fee in the event she were willing to seek election to a judicial office other than that sought by then-Commissioner Harvey Silberman. Jones said she made the call as an accommodation to Evelyn Jerome Alexander, a campaign consultant who was representing Silberman at the time and who later represented Jones. Mervyn
H. Wolf Wolf, a lawyer for 40 years, is scheduled to have a pretrial conference March 10 on five felony embezzlement counts. The case had been scheduled for trial Jan. 27 before Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Bob Bowers Jr., but was continued. Wolf is accused of having taken settlement funds from his clients in multiple personal injury, workers’ compensation, and wrongful termination cases between June 2003 and June 2004. He allegedly deposited settlement checks into his clients’ trust accounts, and then embezzled the funds. Wolf was placed on involuntary inactive status by the State Bar Court July 10, 2006 and faces 23 disciplinary charges, including failure to deposit funds into a trust account, receiving an illegal fee, charging an unconscionable fee, failure to account for client funds, failure to release a client’s file, failure to pay client funds promptly, failure to account for client funds, conversion of funds sent to him by mistake, and multiple counts of failure to maintain funds in a trust account, misappropriation of client funds and failure to cooperate in State Bar investigations. Richard
I. Fine Fine, whose efforts to free himself from coercive imprisonment for contempt of court have been rebuffed at just about every level of the state and federal courts, has now turned to the judge who sent him to jail in the first place. Fine has been confined to the Twin Towers jail since being held in contempt March 4 of last year by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge David Yaffe. Yaffe ordered Fine jailed for as long as he refuses to respond to questions asked at a judgment debtor examination, and jailed for five days for holding himself out as entitled to practice law after being placed on involuntary inactive status by the State Bar Court. The judgment debtor exam is part of an effort to collect sanctions imposed on Fine by Yaffe in the case of Marina Strand Colony II Homeowners Assn vs. County of Los Angeles, BS109420. Fine argued Yaffe should have disqualified himself from the outset of the case because he, like apparently every other Los Angeles Superior Court judge, has received benefits from the county over and above his state salary. Yaffe said the argument, whether meritorious or not, was waived because Fine was aware of the payments at least 10 months before he raised the issue. On Jan. 27, Fine filed a “Demand For Immediate Release From LA County Jail, And Other Relief.” In it, he demanded that Yaffe free him from custody on the ground that there is “no substantial likelihood” further imprisonment will induce him to answer questions, citing In Re Farr, 36 Cal.App.3d 577, 584 (1974). Mitchell
Roth Roth, a candidate for the Los Angeles Superior Court in 2004, has filed for personal bankruptcy, stalling a lawsuit filed by Attorney General Jerry Brown July 6 of last year. The attorney general charged Roth and foreclosure consultant Paul Noe Jr. with having defrauded some 2,000 desperate homeowners into paying exorbitant fees for “phony lawsuits” to forestall foreclosure proceedings. Noe did not answer the complaint, and a spokesman for Brown said a default judgment was being sought. The complaint alleges that the suits were filed and abandoned, even though homeowners were charged $1,800 in upfront fees, at least $1,200 per month and contingency fees of up to 80 percent of a home’s value. The Los Angeles Superior Court assumed jurisdiction over Roth’s law practice in February, allowing the State Bar to take control of his Sherman Oaks, San Diego and Riverside law offices. The State Bar said Roth had been hospitalized due to severe depression, leaving several clients in foreclosure defense litigation cases subject to losing their homes and facing eviction. Roth did not contest the takeover of his practice or the State Bar’s subsequent motion to place him on involuntary inactive status, which was granted by State Bar Court Judge Richard Honn last April 23. Roth tendered his resignation from the State Bar on May 29 rather than face disciplinary charges. LaJetta
Y. Wright Wright, a former treasurer of the Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, was placed on one year’s probation Feb. 2. She pled guilty July 29 to charges she embezzled $26,000 from the group in 2004. Sentencing was delayed to this month, enabling Wright to complete 246 hours of community service, pay a $3,000 fine and pay restitution. Judge David Horwitz reduced the offense from a felony to a misdemeanor at the time of sentencing, which could result in the vacating of Wright’s interim suspension from the State Bar, which took effect last month. Wright spent one year on involuntary inactive status with the State Bar in 2007-2008 as a result of the charges. Walter Loustari Loustari, a 58-year-old Glendale resident, faces sentencing Wednesday after pleading no contest Jan. 22 to felony charges of possessing child pornography and an assault rifle. Prosecutors said Loustari, who faces a maximum of three years and eight months in prison after entering the “open”—non-negotiated—plea, was charged after U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, along with the Glendale Police Department, investigated him as part of Operation Predator, in which ICE works with local agencies to investigate child pornography throughout the United States. |
![]()
President Obama Wednesday nominated UC Berkeley law professor Goodwin Liu to succeed Judge Stephen Trott, who took senior status in 2004. There are two other vacancies on the court. One is a position that was created Jan. 21 of last year that has not been filled, the other is that of Judge Michael Daly Hawkins, who took senior status Feb. 12. |
President Obama on Feb. 4 nominated Orange Superior Court Judge Josephine Tucker to succeed Judge Alicemarie Stotler, who took senior status Jan. 5 of last year. There are two remaining vacancies, as Judge Florence-Marie Cooper died Jan. 15 and Judge Stephen G. Larson resigned Nov. 2 of last year to join the law firm of Girardi | Keese. |
![]()
There are no vacancies. |
![]() Second District Justice Tricia Bigelow of Div. Eight was confirmed and sworn in Feb. 8 as presiding justice of that division. She succeeds Presiding Justice Candace Cooper, who retired Dec. 31, 2008. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Elizabeth Grimes was nominated Feb. 18 to succeed Bigelow as associate justice and faces an April 5 confirmation hearing. Justice Fred Morrison retired at the end of January of last year. Justice Rodney Davis retired Feb. 16 of last year, and Justice Richard Sims III said he will retire sometime between October of this year and January of next year. The name of Sacramento Superior Court Judge Jaime R. Roman has been sent to the JNE Commission as a possible appointee to the court. Fourth District Justice Barton Gaut is retiring from Div. Two Sunday. Fifth District Justice Steve Vartabedian is retiring March 31. Seats in other districts are filled. |
Los Angeles Superior Court
Ackerson-Brazille fills the vacancy created by the conversion of a court commissioner position last March; Fields succeeds Judge Robert P. O’Neill, who retired in April; Goetz fills the vacancy created by the death of Judge Charles W. Stoll in April; Laesecke fills the vacancy created by the resignation of Judge Alice C. Hill in June; Samuels fills the vacancy created by the elevation of Judge Victoria G. Chaney to this district’s Court of Appeal in July; and Suzuki fills the vacancy created by the conversion of a commissioner position last July. Remaining vacancies resulted from Judge Jacqueline Nguyen’s resignation in December to join the federal bench; the retirements of Judge Brett Klein on Nov. 30, Bob T. Hight on Nov. 1, Judith Chirlin on Sept. 15, Josh Fredricks on Sept. 12 and John Farrell on July 7; and the conversion to judgeships of the commissioner positions previously held by Randall Pacheco, Henry Hall, Jack Gold and Edward Drayer. Pacheco and Hall are now judges; Gold and Drayer retired. Judge William Chidsey is retiring today and Judge Terry Friedman on Sunday. A newly-created position on the court was to have been funded as of June 1, 2008, but legislation in response to the state budget crisis postponed the effective date, first to June 1 of last year, and then to June 1 of this year. Judge Michael Mink retires on Tuesday, and Judge William Weisman is scheduled to retire on May 11. Judge Paul Gutman is on extended sick leave and might not return to the court. Judge Harvey Silberman is disqualified while under felony indictment. Judge Emily Stevens is on leave and expected to retire. Among those whose names have gone to the State Bar Commission on Judicial Nominees Evaluation as possible appointees to the court are Assistant U.S. Attorney Carla Ford; former Deputy District Attorney Christopher Darden, now in private practice; former Assistant U.S. Attorney David P. Vaughn, now a managing director of the litigation and consulting firm FTI Consulting Inc.; criminal defense specialist Steven Cron of Santa Monica; Los Angeles Assistant City Attorney Gary Geuss; Los Angeles Deputy City Attorneys Timothy R. Saito, Richard Kraft and Edward J. Perez; state Deputy Attorneys General Steven D. Matthews, Emilio E. Varanini IV, Victoria Wilson, Paul Roadarmel Jr., Robert S. Henry and Kenneth Byrne; Administrative Law Judge Robert Helfand; Deputy District Attorneys Teresa Sullivan, Sean Hassett, Frances D. Young, Jennifer Lentz Snyder, Joseph Markus, Steven I. Katz, Alison S. Matsumoto, Jeffrey Gootman and John D. Harlan II; Commissioners Lia Martin, Scott Gordon, Michele Fleurer, Cynthia Zuzga, John Slawson, Rocky L. Crabb, Michael Convey, Joel Wallenstein, Dennis Mulcahy, Marilyn Kading Martinez, Mary Lou Katz Byrne, Steven Berman, Mark Zuckman and Loren DiFrank; U.S. District Court attorney Amy L. Lew; Irvine attorney Raymond Earl Brown; Deputy Federal Public Defender Angel Navarro; Deputy Alternate Public Defender Jerome J. Haig; Deputy Public Defender Lisa Brackelmans; Securities and Exchange Commission lawyer Martin Joseph Murphy; Los Angeles attorneys Marc Marmaro, David Herriford, Philip J. Ganz Jr., Marshall Mintz, Anthony de los Reyes, Howard Fields, Michael Wilner, Shan K. Thever, John L. Carlton, Adrienne Krikorian, Eulanda Matthews and Lawrence P. Brennan Jr.; Century City attorney Howard S. Fredman; Pasadena attorney Warren Gilbert; Glendale attorney Mark J. MacCarley; Tujunga lawyer John K. Raleigh; Woodland Hills attorney John Cha; Westlake Village attorney Michael Nebenzahl; and Karlene Goller, counsel for the Los Angeles Times. The last workday for Commissioner Murray Gross was Feb. 10; his retirement becomes official March 31. Commissioner Matthew St. George has moved from Alhambra to take over Gross’ downtown courtroom, with Commissioner Bruce Mitchell moving to Alhambra. Commissioner Michael Duffy retired Aug. 30. Commissioner Patrick Larkin is on medical leave. Commissioner Ralph Olson is set to retire between March and June, a court spokesperson said. Commissioner Dennis Shanklin worked Jan. 22 for the last time and his retirement will be official on March 15. Commissioner Steven Lubell is retiring March 4. His last working day was Jan. 15, and Commissioner Sharon Miller has moved from Santa Clarita to take over the San Fernando courtroom to which Lubell was moved at the beginning of January. |
Legislation of Interest to the Legal Community
|
The
following bills of interest to the legal community were acted upon
in February: •AB 939, by the Assembly Judiciary Committee, which, as amended Jan. 4, would simplify the procedures for a summary dissolution of marriage. The bill passed the Assembly Jan. 19 by a vote of 71-0 and was sent to the Senate, where it was referred to the Judiciary and Appropriations committees Feb. 4. •AB 984, by Assemblyman Pedro Nava, D-Santa Barbara, which would, with some exceptions, make it a crime for a witness to a murder or rape to fail to report that crime to authorities. The bill passed the Assembly Judiciary Committee Jan. 7 by a vote of 10-0, passed the Committee on Public Safety Jan. 14 by a vote of 5-2, passed the Appropriations Committee Jan. 21 by a vote of 16-0, and passed the full Assembly Jan. 27 by a vote of 64-4. It was referred to the Senate Committee on Public Safety Feb. 11. |
Copyright Metropolitan News Company, 1999-2010