Dec.
31, 2009 |
![]() ![]() |
A report on where |
Fine Seeks Emergency Writ From U.S. Supreme Court...Trial Date Set in Case of Inglewood Mayor and Ex-Judge Rossevelt Dorn...Fourth District Court of Appeal Justice Gaut to Retire |
The
2010 judicial election calendar commences Jan. 4, the first day for
candidates to circulate paperwork in order to obtain signatures of
registered votes to be submitted in lieu of a filing fee. |
Richard
A. Windom Widom,
until recently a name partner at the workers' compensation firm
now known as Stockwell Harris Woolverton Muehl, was charged with
misdemeanor spousal battery last month over an incident alleged
to have occurred on March 1. The alleged victim is his wife Lisa
Kerner, a vice president of the law firm. John
T. Doyle Doyle,
a Superior Court judge since 2000, entered a no-contest plea to
a charge of driving with an excessive blood alcohol level and was
placed on probation for three years and ordered to make restitution.
Officials said he was arrested about 11:15 p.m. July 2 after officers
with the LAPD's South Traffic Division pulled him over in the 4500
block of Don Felipe Drive following a minor traffic collision. Harvey
Silberman Orange
Superior Court Judge Richard M. King, who is hearing charges of
solicitation to commit bribery and solicitation to induce a candidate
not to run for public office against Silberman and two political
consultants, held a Dec. 4 hearing on motions to dismiss the charges
under Penal Code Sec. 995 and took the matter under submission.
Lori-Ann
Jones Jones, a court commissioner since March 2006, was placed on paid administrative leave Sept. 18 following the release of grand jury transcripts in which she testified to having conveyed to then-judicial candidate Serena Murillo a suggestion that funds would be available to pay Murillo's filing fee in the event she were willing to seek election to a judicial office other than that sought by then-Commissioner Harvey Silberman. Jones said she made the call as an accommodation to Evelyn Jerome Alexander, a campaign consultant who was representing Silberman at the time and who later represented Jones. Mervyn
H. Wolf Wolf,
a lawyer for 40 years, is scheduled for jury trial on five felony
embezzlement counts Jan. 27 before Los Angeles Superior Court Judge
Bob Bowers Jr. The trial was continued from Nov. 10. Richard
I. Fine Fine
this month sought emergency relief from the U.S. Supreme Court after
the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, on Nov. 24, denied his
petition for a writ of habeas corpus challenging his coercive imprisonment
for civil contempt. Roosevelt
Dorn
A jury trial date of Jan. 12 has been set in the case of Dorn, who
served on the Inglewood Municipal Court and the Los Angeles Superior
Court from 1979 until his election as mayor of Inglewood in 1997.
Mitchell
Roth Roth,
a candidate for the Los Angeles Superior Court in 2004, has filed
for personal bankruptcy, stalling a lawsuit filed by Attorney General
Jerry Brown July 6. The attorney general charged Roth and foreclosure
consultant Paul Noe Jr. with having defrauded some 2,000 desperate
homeowners into paying exorbitant fees for "phony lawsuits"
to forestall foreclosure proceedings. LaJetta
Y. Wright Wright, a former treasurer of the Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, faces sentencing Feb. 2 after pleading guilty July 29 to charges she embezzled $26,000 from the group in 2004. The sentencing was continued from Dec. 2. |
![]()
There has been a vacancy on the court since Judge Stephen Trott took senior status Dec. 31, 2004. There is also a newly created position that has not been filled, and Judge Michael Daly Hawkins is scheduled to take senior status Feb. 12, 2010. |
President
Obama's first appointee to the court, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge
Jacqueline H. Nguyen, was confirmed by the Senate Dec. 1 by a vote
of 97-0. The president nominated Nguyen July 31 to succeed Judge Nora
Manella, who resigned to become a justice of this district's Court
of Appeal in 2006. She was unanimously rated "well qualified"
by the American Bar Association's Standing Committee on the Judiciary. |
![]()
There are no vacancies. |
![]() Second District Justice
Tricia Bigelow of Div. Eight was nominated Dec. 29 to succeed Presiding
Justice Candace Cooper of that division. Cooper retired Dec. 31 of last
year. Justice Fred Morrison retired at the end of January. Justice Rodney Davis retired Feb. 16. The name of Sacramento Superior Court Judge Jaime R. Roman has been sent to the JNE Commission as a possible appointee to the court. Fourth District Justice Barton Gaut is retiring from Div. Two Feb. 28. Seats in other districts are filled. |
Los Angeles Superior Court
Additional
vacancies will occur when Judges Terry Friedman and William Chidsey
retire in February, when Judge Michael Mink retires around March 1,
and when Judge Jacqueline Nguyen joins the federal bench. Judge
Paul Gutman is on sick leave. Judge Harvey Silberman is disqualified
while under felony indictment. Among
those whose names have gone to the State Bar Commission on Judicial
Nominees Evaluation as possible appointees to the court are Assistant
U.S. Attorney Carla Ford; former Deputy District Attorney Christopher
Darden, now in private practice; former Assistant U.S. Attorney David
P. Vaughn, now a managing director of the litigation and consulting
firm FTI Consulting, Inc.; criminal defense specialist Steven Cron
of Santa Monica; Los Angeles Assistant City Attorney Gary Geuss; Los
Angeles Deputy City Attorneys Timothy R. Saito, Richard Kraft and
Edward J. Perez; state Deputy Attorneys General Karen M Ackerson-Brazille,
Steven D. Matthews, Emilio E. Varanini IV, Victoria Wilson, Paul Roadarmel
Jr., Robert S. Henry and Kenneth Byrne; Administrative Law Judge Robert
Helfand; Deputy District Attorneys Sean Hassett, Teresa Sullivan,
Frances D. Young, Jennifer Lentz Snyder, Joseph Markus, Steven I.
Katz, Alison S. Matsumoto, Shellie Samuels, Jeffrey Gootman, John
D. Harlan II and Laura Laesecke; Commissioners Reva Goetz, Scott Gordon,
Michele Fleurer, Cynthia Zuzga, John Slawson, Rocky L. Crabb, Michael
Convey, Joel Wallenstein, Dennis Mulcahy, Marilyn Kading Martinez,
Mary Lou Katz Byrne, Steven Berman, Mark Zuckman and Loren DiFrank;
U.S. District Court attorney Amy L. Lew; Irvine attorney Raymond Earl
Brown; Deputy Federal Public Defender Angel Navarro; Deputy Alternate
Public Defender Jerome J. Haig; Deputy Public Defender Lisa Brackelmans;
Securities and Exchange Commission lawyer Martin Joseph Murphy; Los
Angeles attorneys Stephen Fleischman, Marc Marmaro, David Herriford,
Philip J. Ganz Jr., Marshall Mintz, Anthony de los Reyes, Howard Fields,
Michael Wilner, Shan K. Thever, John L. Carlton, David Fields, Adrienne
Krikorian, Eulanda Matthews and Lawrence P. Brennan Jr.; Century City
attorney Howard S. Fredman; Pasadena attorney Warren Gilbert; Glendale
attorney Mark J. MacCarley; Tujunga lawyer John K. Raleigh; Woodland
Hills attorney John Cha; Westlake Village attorney Michael Nebenzahl;
and Karlene Goller, counsel for the Los Angeles Times. Michael
Shultz, previously a Loyola Law School professor, was sworn in Dec.
14 as the successor to Commissioner H.M. "Trip" Webster
III, who retired March 30. Shultz is sitting in Compton. Nancy
Pogue, a former deputy public defender who was elected Nov. 5 to succeed
Commissioner John C. Lawson II, took up her first permanent assignment
Dec. 1 at Central Civil West. Lawson was appointed a judge Sept. 1.
Commissioner
Michael Duffy retired Aug. 30. Commissioner Patrick Larkin is on medical
leave. Commissioner Ralph Olson is set to retire between March and June, a court spokesperson said. Commissioner Dennis Shanklin has scheduled Jan. 22 as his last working day and his retirement will be official on March 15. |
Legislation of Interest to the Legal Community
|
The Legislature did not sit in regular session during December. |
Copyright Metropolitan News Company, 1999-2009